How did we reduce the cost of musculoskeletal disorders by 80%? – Simple by following the research!
80% Reduction in MSD COSTS
A few years ago, the Lancet journal published a series of articles addressing the musculoskeletal epidemic. The focus was on LBP because it is the number one cause of pain and disability worldwide. The researchers outlined therapies that were linked to poor outcomes as well as clinical guidelines for successful management of LBP:
- Provide education that supports self-management – currently, only 20% of those with LBP receive education.
- Remain active and at work – rest continues to be commonly advised
- Reserve Imaging for red flags or potential other diagnoses – 54% of those in the USA with LBP with no red flags receive imaging.
- The first choice of treatment should be non-pharmaceutical – 64% -90% of those with LBP receive medication as the first therapy
- Advise against electrical modalities (Electric stimulation, traction, short-wave diathermy, ultrasound) – these modalities are still commonly used by PT/chiropractors and advised by physicians
- Avoid opioid analgesics – improvement is seen here but only a decade ago 2009 60% with LBP received an opioid prescription.
- Injections and surgeries “have a very limited role if any” – spinal fusions have increased by 600% and injections
- A biopsychosocial framework should guide management of LBP – only 8.4% of those with LBP receive cognitive therapy and only 12% with chronic pain
- Exercise is recommended for chronic LBP – only 54% of those in the USA with chronic LBP have ever been prescribed exercise
Enter Virtual Physical Therapists!
All of our clinicians must be Certified in Mechanical Diagnosis on top of being state-licensed. This added certification is to ensure that each patient receives the highest level of care.
During our virtual visit, a thorough mechanical assessment is performed to determine the root cause of your symptoms. Treatment is focused on education and self-care.
Because of our high-quality clinicians, patients are able to return to pain-free activity with fewer visits and huge cost savings…that is how we reduced the cost of musculoskeletal disorders!
We are proud to be a recipient of the 2020 Health Value Award for Musculoskeletal Management by the Validation Institute. This award showcases health care organizations that demonstrate better and more transparent health outcomes, costs, and safety than conventional care.